Monday, June 18, 2012

Illustrator Profile- Nathan Jurevicius



Peleda
Nathan Jurevicius

Thank goodness  authors don't have to illustrate their own books!

When publisher Blake asked illustrator Nathan Jurevicius to create the pictures for my story 'Making Friends with Samson' they chose someone who was destined for great things.  Since Making Friends with Samson, Nathan's  worked for Nickelodeon, Scholastic, The Wall Street Journal and many more companies worldwide.

In 2002 he created the interactive animated cartoon 'How Quest Sought the Truth', but he's best known for 'Scarygirl' -  a game, interactive cartoon, and now a graphic novel it's the story of an abandoned little girl who was found and brought up by a friendly octopus and guided by a mystic rabbit, Bunniguru.   Nathan's Scarygirl online game was released in 2009 and it now has more than a million players across the world. His latest series  'Peleda'  is currently in production with Australian Broadcasting Comission .
 (Information from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Jurevicius) 

Yesterday I had the opportunity to speak via email to Nathan, so I started with the most important question first: 

1. How did my story 'Making Friends with Samson' change your life? 

It motivated me to study levitation from a Tibetan monk....  

2. Of course it did. I too, levitate on a regular basis, and could teach Tibetan monks a thing or two... but enough about me, tell me how you become an illustrator/graphic novel author?

I studied illustration and design at the University of South Australia. I was lucky enough to get a few commissions during school and this led to a bunch of freelance work in the publishing world - eventually becoming an editorial illustrator for various magazines/newspapers. 

3. What sort of work have you done since 'Making Friends with Samson?'

It's been very diverse - creating artwork for toys, xbox games, tv shows, films and personal exhibitions.

4. What is your favourite piece of work?

Scarygirl is my baby and very sentimental to me...I'm really loving the new project "Peleda' I'm working on too based on my owl series.

Scarygirl Image
Scary Girl with Bunniguru

5. How did you come up with Scary Girl ?

Scarygirl came about 10 years ago - originally an online game concept and then I was approached to develop limited edition toys from a company in Hong Kong.
The first toy was Scarygirl. The Peleda series is something that's been in the works for about 6 years - it first began as an exhibition, then a series of limited edition

collectible figures and it's now in production as an online game and tv series with the ABC in Australia. 

6.What would you say to a young person who thinks they might like to follow in your footsteps?

Talk to as many people as possible, visit studios, publishers and other artists...don't give up. 

Thank you Nathan, great catching up with you. All the best for Peleda 


Keep an eye out for Nathan's new series Peleda on the ABC

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, nice interview!Looking forward to seeing more.

Unknown said...

Hey, nice interview!Looking forward to seeing more.